OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Thursday, July 3

Faces behind Made on the Left - Part 3 - Aussiepatches

You've already met Dara and Jacquie, now it's time to meet Alicia Rosam - the face behind Aussiepatches.




Tell us a bit about yourself & your craft.I’m a total geek who loves to play computer games, read fashion magazines and watch Star Trek. I’m a total fitness junkie and live in a house surrounded by pets – including a dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pigs and fish. All are named after forms of money.

I don’t know if I would consider what I create as a craft. In reality I draw things, and make things that I think look right, then have the bonus of having people go ‘ooh’ and ‘aah’ when they see them. I’m obsessed with fashion, shopping, makeup and capturing emotions within the figures I draw. I have a tendency to focus on portraiture and really drawing the viewer into the work, and making them feel what the character feels. My creating tends to make its own path, and it really depends on the character that I draw to what they’d like to do next. Some of them want to become badges, others magnets, some address books and others fabric dolls. I guess I just love to give life to my wild and crazy imagination in any form that I can.




What is Made on the Left?Made on the Left revolves around the idea that we make things in Western Australia. So many people travel interstate to hit ‘celebrity’ status in the design world, but the reality is that Perth is the next big thing and just because we are on the ‘left’ of Australia doesn’t mean we have any less talent. We want to keep that talent here and focus on the thriving arts and crafts community beginning to rise.

What made you want to get involved with organising a craft fair?I learn very quickly and have a vast amount of knowledge that I want to put into action. I guess organising a craft fair was just another step towards the goals I want to achieve as an illustrator / designer. I love the ability to network, to face obstacles and overcome them as well as the pride in just being able to be part of something that will really help other designers trying to make their mark in Western Australia.



Is this your fulltime profession?Yep, everyday of the week! I get up at around 7am and work all the way through to 11pm. Sometimes my hours get knocked around when I’m working for international clients. Recently my commission from Sony/BMG meant that I was up at 3am to do conference calls or answer urgent e-mails, and then I’d go back to bed for an hour or so, then get up and do it again. Sometimes the work has to be done and sleep gets pushed aside for later. It can be tough.

What inspires you?Fashion, Celebrities and shopping – exactly in that order. I am also inspired the most when I am stressed, depressed and lonely. My best hours for working are 11pm – 5am. I guess that at these times I am the least critical about what I create and I allow the passion for what I do to flow through the work. Creating my work and being inspired to be able to create it is one of the most painful parts of the process for me.



Do you think being in Perth affects your craft in a negative way?

Yes I do. I always get asked why I’m not in Melbourne. That if I was in Melbourne or Sydney I’d be a superstar celebrity by now. That I don’t get the press attention I deserve because no-one knows enough about me over here.

I think it is more that I don’t get the opportunity to network with as many people as I would interstate. There aren’t a lot of opportunities to network here in Western Australia, and quite often you only get the chance by knowing someone and being brought along to the event by them.

What do you think of Australian design?
I think Australian design stands in the forefront within the international market. I see a lot of designers that impact the design world very strongly and turn it on its head. I see Australian design as a force that is to be reckoned with. Watch out world.



What are your plans for the future?
My plans for the future. World domination? Just kidding. In five years time I want to still be able to keep doing what I’m doing. I can’t really predict though what I want to happen, as I have no idea. A year ago when I started I would never have imagined that I would be where I am today. A year ago I didn’t even draw portraits. Now I have a fan club and my work not only lives all over the world but is also used to teach art students from Australia to America and even Spain. I’ve had university papers written about me and used as an example for research papers. It is a little freaky and kind of intimidating to suddenly be considered so ‘high’ in the illustration world. I’m just me. I live in a big house with a dining room that has bright canary yellow walls which I can’t stand. I don’t see myself in the way that others may perceive me. I just create when I feel I need to, and draw what I think is right. I guess in the future I’d just like to find my feet and keep having new avenues on where I can present my work. I’ll soon have illustrations on clothing in department stores across America as well as secondary school textbooks across Australia – and that is only the tip of the iceberg in what will be happening in the next few months. Tomorrow brings excitement, joy and a surprise. As long as I keep being surprised, I’m happy to have no plan at all.

No comments: