OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Thursday, July 10

Faces behind Made on the Left - Part 4 - Odd Girl Out

I've introduced you to Dara, Jacquie, Ali and now, it's my pleasure to introduce you to the talented Sarah Gazia - the face behind Odd Girl Out.




Tell us a bit about yourself & your craft.
  • I am a marketer by ‘real’ job and usually have a good way with words...except maybe when it comes to talking about myself.
  • I returned to Perth at the beginning of the year after a couple of years living within the shadow of Tower Bridge in London.
  • I’m a polymer clay queen at present...but I love to learn how to work in different media.
  • In my previous crafting life I did a lot of silk painting...examples of which may still crop up in my etsy store in the future...you just never know.
  • My partner and I started our own marketing and design business this year as well as getting Odd Girl Out off the ground – there’s no doing things by halves!


What is Made on the Left?Made on the Left is a celebration of Western Australian ingenuity and craftiness and a central source for information on local creative opportunties.

What made you want to get involved with organising a craft fair?I don’t really think of myself as an organiser (leaving that up to the more naturally organised members of the group!) but I do know a bit about marketing and promotion and thought I could lend a hand. I have a background in arts and tourism promotion so I guess I had a head start on promoting the arty attributes of WA and this plan seemed to fall naturally into place.

What can we expect to see there?A wonderful array of handmade goodies with a particular emphasis on fresh talent – we have a great proportion of stallholders for whom this is their first market, and I think that’s really exciting. It definitely won’t be same old, same old...About two thirds of the sellers are from Etsy, so although they may have had an online presence for a while, this is the first time you’ll see them all in a ‘brick and mortar’ room together.

What are your plans for the future?
Just looking ahead for the next year, I hope to really establish our marketing and design business and get more accustomed to the ins and outs of being a small business owner. With Odd Girl Out, I would like to raise the brand profile, achieve some exposure in fashion media and distribute/sell more widely through wholesaling or direct selling (like more markets!). I’m going to be seeking some advice from people who have a lot more experience than I do in jewellery retailing and setting some realistic goals.

What do you cherish most in your life?My partner Moz, who I am hoping to convince to have his own stall (as an illustrator) at the next market. At the moment his can be seen as my lovely assistant on the Odd Girl Out stalls.

What could you not live without?Gelato. Well, actually many foods. Mmmmmm. And travel.


What was the first thing you ever created?
With an art teacher for a mum, I think my creating dates back to before I could stand and probably involved poster paints and my fingers.

What inspires you?
I love visiting museums of modern art, galleries and funky shops (preferably in far off cities to get the travel angle in too!) and seeing what’s happening out there in the world. When I was travelling through Europe for three months last year I carried a small sketch book with me all the time and I have lots of inspiration to draw from now.




What do you think of Australian design?I think Australian design is definitely well regarded, but these days no one is going to get a gold star just for being Australian – there is a whole world of creative people out there and the bar is continually being raised, so there’s no room for complacency.
Do you think being in Perth affects your craft in a negative way?
I would say being based in Perth has both positives and negatives. Truly, with travel, the internet etc as developed as they are now, the ‘isolation’ issue is really not as significant as it once might have been and there is a strong, although not massive, pool of creative people to take inspiration form. The most frustrating thing is the cost of supplies and not being able to get things quickly


What is the most important thing to you when you create your work?
I’m pretty critical of my work so when I can look at something I made and think – I really like that – I’m pretty happy!

Where do you see yourself in a year’s time?Hopefully more well known, established and regarded in both of my businesses!

No comments: