OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Sunday, June 28

Reading and Drawing, Drawing and Reading

Hi, Dara here. I thought I'd do a post about some things that are refascinating me at the moment. Comics and zines.

I say re because they have always been a part of my life. It started with part one of a Phantom two part double comic from a Royal Show show bag and continued for years. Does anyone else out there remember when the comic shop used to be on Williams St Northbridge, where the deli is now?
Yes, I eventually found the second part of the Phantom double. I think it was the last one I bought, which was nicely symbolic. The only comics that remain in my possession now are The Batman Adventures series one and two. But the artwork is just so, so good and the storylines short and clever I just can't part with them.

So lately I've bought some zines via Etsy and I've been getting very curious about the local scene. Not only because I might be thinking of producing something… (no one is allowed to hold me to this or ask when it's going to happen…it's on the list…ok), but Jessica McLeod of Robot & Monster Industries sent in her application for the next MOTL. She and her husband sold at the first market almost a year ago now! This time I am definitely buying some comics.



So onto some other creative's of Perth…

Steven Finch is the managing editor of an upcoming creative arts journal called 'dotdotdash'. Here's how he described what he and a few friends have decided to sell at the next MOTL:

Hand-made magazines or ‘zines’. As I am part of a collective, there will be a wide selection of zines from a variety of local artists, writers, and designers. These are all imagined, written, drawn, compiled, and designed individually. We will also sell art prints.



And here's Yesterdaysclothes, an Etsy seller in Perth I found via the Shop Local. I just love the name and it makes me smile with memories…

Straight out of Perth (Western Australia) comes a grab-bag of short stories, illustrations, a comic strip, a collage, some reviews, a few articles, collected true stories, instructions to make origami shot glasses and a nifty little recipe for cupcakes... all devoted to the theme of parties.

Something to flick through while you're on the bus, falling asleep with the lights on, or bored senseless at someone else's party!


So I hope you enjoy having a look at some locally produced products that can help wile away these wintery days.

No comments: