OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Tuesday, August 18

So why is it you do what you do?


So as I said, I sell my work primarily at Markets and Exhibitions. My first ever market was at PICA in 2006 (?). It was the strangest experience, they wanted us to sell literally from the boot of our cars! quite a merchandising challenge. I clearly remember the fear in the first half hour where I didn't sell anything, then almost hugging the first stanger who bought my work and then the stunned feeling when it was all over and my apron pocket was bursting with the most cash I have ever made (still) at a market :-) The downside is that for a long time after that I compared all markets to that first one and no two markets are ever the same, even year to year the same market varies, especially in Perth.

So the decision to sell at markets and not through stores? The way I see it is there is quite a leap to be made from markets to wholesale not just the administration and financial side but the shift from Artist to Manufacturer. You with me? for example let's look at this ring I made yesterday, as an Artist if I was to sell it, I would factor in the gram weight of the sterling silver and my time to achive a price. As Manufacturer I would have to include the price of the packaging, the labeling, the website that supports it, the registration of the business name, the travel time to the class, the class cost, the administration time, time spent meeting with retailers, inventory recording, interest on a business loan, etc the list goes on and on.
So can you be both? I don't see many examples, many Artists supplement their income with teaching. The search is on for that lovely middle ground :-) That is where I am now, searching. Any ideas?

No comments: