Some of you may be getting to the stage where you would like to wholesale your products to shops and stores. This can be very daunting if you're not a super-confident seller or are uncomfortable approaching stores. Agencies can hep with this, but sometimes they don't understand the handmade business ethos or approach. Lia has been working in our area for a while now, so we thought we'd give her a shout!
Outsource Marketing (OM) is a home based business, established in 2008 when owner, Lia Simmonds identified a need by “small scale” Australian craftspeople and designers to have their products marketed effectively to retailers through exclusive wholesale representation.
As a Wholesale Distributor OM sells their product ranges to over 80 retail outlets throughout Australia who are primarily homeware/gift stores, fashion boutiques, gallery shops and bookstores.
The current product range can be viewed online www.outsourcemarketing.com.au and includes stationery, greeting cards, handbags, t-shirts, cushions, tea towels, fashion accessories and art prints. We are always on the look out for new products to join us.
OM currently represents the following 6 Australian designers that can be viewed on our website:
Ali J- perth
The Near Future- sydney
Running with a Sandwich- perth
Formosa Design- canberra
Zilpah tart- canberra
Tex & Joe- perth
BENEFITS OF WHOLESALE REPRESENTATION
The main reason people choose a distributor is that selling your own products is hard work, time consuming and emotionally draining! It is often much healthier for yourself and your business to have a “middleman” or “middlewoman” in this case that deals easily with all of this for you. Some other reasons are:
- Frees up your time to create- no more running around selling to shops
- A secure & convenient online wholesale shop that promotes your products 24/7
- An agent to maintain, build and establish new retailer relationships
- Established existing network of WA retailers with expansion into the eastern states
- Centralised administration of all invoicing & delivery (no more running around chasing up
- monies from retailers)
- Fast upfront payment of orders
- Designers maintain creative control and direction over their business
- OM provides feedback from buyers to designers on their products’ saleability and success.
These are some of the main elements I am looking for when sourcing new products to represent:
- New products must complement existing products I represent
- Professional business branding & product packaging
- Products with a difference
- Designers that can offer a broad product range
- Competitive pricing
- Prefer to deal with designers who already selling their products at art/design markets
I also distribute an email newsletter which is sent to my database of over 400 contacts. Advertisingspace is available for purchase within the OM newsletter for designers wanting to reach the retail buyers of stores from all over Australia.
If you feel that your business is ready to grow to the next level and you are looking for wholesale representation then please feel free to contact us!
Lia can be reached on
Mobile: 0408 393 160