OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Thursday, May 16

Q & A with Lucie from "Magpie House"



Tell us a bit about your business.
Magpie House is an eclectic mix of jewellery made by me, Lucie Basinger, using new and recycled pieces. The name Magpie House came about as I have always had a fascination with Magpies after being told as a child that if you see one alone you must greet it by saying “Good afternoon your Lordship”. Also they are cheeky and like to collect shiny things, which I think is great!

What inspires you?I am often inspired by my friends and by travel. I find odd combinations of shapes and textures intriguing and love animals and the outdoors.

What do you love most about selling at markets?I love the atmosphere; right from the set up it is an exciting energy. I love seeing all the other stalls and the fantastic outfits of all the shoppers!

What materials do you use?I use brass, copper, plastic, recycled bits and bobs found in op shops, all sorts really. I also use paper, card, old books and felt for my card making

What is your favourite part of the creative process?I love coming up with an idea and getting lost in doing trials and making mistakes, making mistakes often takes the idea on a totally new track. I like making a mess and the whole practical element. And then of course the feeling of selling something that you have made for someone else to enjoy is just awesome.

What’s been your most popular item or line to date?My brass triangle necklace or my mint green bead necklace has probably been the most popular.

What new products are you working on?I am working on a few new necklaces and bracelets using a lot of geometric shapes and bright beads. I am also making a lot of collaged postcards and gift tags, using old travel books and cat pictures. I really like to manipulate the old images using patterns, and painting back into them.

Where can we find you? www.etsy.com/shop/lucie2427

No comments: