OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Tuesday, July 9

Stallholder Profile: Spotlight on Anna Hadwin Crochet Toys


Anna Hadwin of Anna Hadwin Crochet Toys has been a stallholder at Made on the Left markets for many years, always making us squeal at the cuteness of her creations! Let's see what goes on behind the scenes...



Tell us a bit about yourself
I have been crocheting and knitting since I was 5 years old. We moved from the UK to California and it was a great way to keep me occupied. My baby sister was only 6 weeks old. Moving back to the UK I made my first jumper at 8 years old, and I haven’t stopped crafting since.




What inspires you to create?

The joy of making. My husband (Toby) and daughter (Orlando) are both very artistic and their drawings and doodles supply me with many ideas. 
I love yarn, and have a “Wool Mountain” at my house (pictured left).

What materials do you use?
Wool in acrylic, cotton and specialty yarns.

What steps do you take to prepare for a market?
Each market has a different customer base, so I try and tailor products for that market. Then I crochet like crazy!

What’s your number one market tip?
Stay positive and listen to advice from those around you - customers and stallholders. There is a wealth of knowledge out there.




What is your favourite part of the creative process?

Taking time out to plan new designs and seeing them take shape.

What’s been your most popular item or line to date?
Owl, Penguins and my Pirate Bunny. But who wouldn’t love a Pirate Bunny??



What is the most exciting thing that has come out of selling your designs through markets?
Knowing that my products make people happy. I have many repeat customers and am now wholesaling.

What advice would you give someone who wants to sell their crafts?
You might need to compromise with your product. I started out selling baby/children’s knitwear. But in our climate it was just too hard. So I thought toys and hats and home wares was a better choice.



What goals do you have in store for the future?
To keep on crafting and evolving my products. It’s really important to me to make everything myself and I think customers appreciate that.

Thanks, Anna!
xxx MOTL

No comments: