OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Saturday, July 25

Get to know the stallholders!

With the Made on the Left markets at the Perth Concert Hall happening tomorrow we thought it would be a good idea to meet a couple of the stallholders that will be there so, get to know...


RED COPPER FOX

My name is Georgina Drury and I'm a New Zealander living in Perth (don't hold it against me). I have been here now for four years and I've always been interested in anything crafty whether it be painting or jewellery making. The items I have been creating for Red Copper Fox are wooden geometric necklaces, they are all hand painted with my own colour combinations. Recently I have gotten into making geometric concrete pots that my partner designed and made the mold for and taught me how to pour the concrete. I have just started making concrete pendants too- these are a work in progress, but I should have a limited number available at the upcoming market.

Red Copper Fox is fairly new, I only created the etsy page in May, but I have been making Jewellery for myself for over 5 years if not longer. I started making jewellery for myself after seeing a particular colour combination of a necklace and discovering my love for geometric beads. People started asking me for them so it grew from there. The concrete pot side of it was because I wanted one for our house, but couldn't find them anywhere so my partner made me one and from there we just kept making them.

Although I love the necklaces so much I think my favourite thing I'll be selling this weekend at the markets will be the geometric pots- I think they are very special, especially the ones I have hand painted on.

I wish I could do this full time but not yet so I have a full time job as a Merchandiser for a greeting card company in Perth. I have a huge love of painting and have done so ever since I was a kid so on the weekend you would probably find me with a paint brush in my hand trying to create something. 

You can find me at:



RUGGED AND REFINED

I'm Jenna Love, a metalsmith and jewellery designer from New Zealand. My current work often features faceted geometric forms made from sterling silver that have been embellished with random, spontaneous layers of fine gold. The result is jewellery that is angular and bold to wear, whilst being warm with a rich palette. 

Rugged and refined is my new brand name, but I've been making jewellery since 2008. My best performing subject in school was sculpture- I surprised myself and tutors by having an eye for detail and having a knack for putting interesting materials together. I also spent time years living in Nelson, a well known town for many talented jewellers and artists. On returning to New Zealand after a handful of years in the States, I was inspired to give Silversmithing a go after seeing lots of beautiful work in galleries around the country. After my first class, I was well and truly hooked! 

My current favourites are geometric shaped earrings, adorned with splatters of gold, also my oxidised domed round studs are sweet. 

Being a mother to my three year old daughter is my other gig. The jewellery fits in alongside that perfectly and I have some exciting plans for building my jewellery business over the coming months. Please check back in!

Instagram: @ruggedandrefined
New website coming soon and online shop. 



ONE HAPPY LEAF

I established One Happy Leaf in 2013 to inspire people to reconnect with their authentic selves. In a fast paced and sometimes stressful world we often lose touch with ourselves and how we used to be. For some of us, that means spending less time in nature and fewer moments experiencing the richness of the world. I create jewellery to remind the wearer to live true to their individual selves, because living authentically is when we are at our happiest. We can see joy in the simple things in life and we find the courage to follow our passions. We experience all the wonder of the world while being true to ourselves. 

My favourite jewellery piece is my "bubble necklace". It's my number one seller and a personal favourite of mine. (See picture)

I quit my day job in 2014, so One Happy Leaf is now my full-time job. I am an environmental scientist by education and was working in a government job previous to working full-time on the jewellery business. By starting One Happy Leaf I found a new passion in creating beautiful, simplistic jewellery that is designed for authentic women to be their happy, natural selves. I love my new day job and am happy I took the leap to working full-time on what was my "creative hobby".

Stores in Perth - Common Ground Collective (82 Hight Street Fremantle)



You can find these amazing creators and a whole bunch of others at the markets this weekend- Perth Concert Hall, Sunday 26th July, 10am - 4pm, see you there!
x

No comments: