OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Tuesday, June 23

Trash or Treasure?

Lauren/Osier here, back for another informative and interesting blog post (psht, who am I kidding...)

Today I went op-shopping, one of my favourite past-times. I'm lucky that the town where I op-shop, is generally a low socio-economic area, so shoppers arn't looking for the s
ame stuff I am at thrift-stores. They're looking for work/boring clothes, whereas I'm looking for vintage retro delights. I like to think I'm pretty good at finding the good stuff, I went looking for a cardigan today, and found three that were perfect. So I thought that I might share my tips with you.

1. Go to a low socio-economic background area and visit the thrift stores there. Subiaco, Fremantle and Dalkeith have already been stripped to the bone, so dont bother
going there.

2. Use these websites to find shops close to you or where you intend on heading. You'll note that I've only listed charity stores. This is because I only shop at charity stores, because feeling good about spending money on clothes is pretty rare.


salvos :: vinnies :: anglicare :: good sammys :: paraquad

3. ALWAYS try on shoes and go for a walk around the store in them. Dont buy them if you're thinking "oh, they'll stretch" because they wont (no matter how cute they are), they've already been worn. Or if they're really high heeled, or they rub, cause they'll give you blisters pretty quick.


4. The dress sections are always my favourite, and basically offer a whole outfit for under $10 most of the time. Make sure you try these on too, as not everything is going to flatter y
ou.

5. This goes without saying, but never buy socks, undies or pantihose/leggings from op-shops. Yuk.


6. If you're struggling to think what to wear something with, either dont buy it or find something in the store that will go with it, otherwise it will be chucked under the bed and forgotten.


7. ALWAYS take a car and your own bags, as many op-shops now have a "no-plastic bag" policy and often dont have anything to replace them. Juggling three pairs of shoes, a dress and a vintage typewriter on the bus home is just going to annoy you.


8. Take note of the price. I've had a couple of nasty surprises when I've gone to checkout and found that the cute jacket I thought was a cool bonus was actually THE most expensive second hand item in the history of the world.


9. This might sound gross, but smell the armpits/crotches of anything you've got your eye on. Chanc
es are that if it stinks, you're not going to be able to get rid of the smell, sorry.

10. Lastly, always wash things at home before you wear them.




Any questions or tips? I'd love to hear them! xoLauren

4 comments:

DELiciousDesignz said...

Good tips. I am hoping to go op shopping tomorrow so will keep these in mind...

Niina A. said...

LOL I had to laugh at #9, I can just imagine you furtively sniffing the armpits and crotches of various items of clothing in an op-shop. hoping nobody sees you!

OSIER said...

hmmm, i must look like a stalkery weirdo... but yeah, i do it surreptitiously :)

Perthlings said...

Salvo's on Winton Rd in Joondalup ... always quiet ... great selection and they take the trouble to separate the retro stuff :-)