OUR mission statement

MADE ON THE LEFT was founded in 2008 by independent designers to support Western Australian creative talent. We hold bi-annual handmade craft markets to showcase local designers.

Being on the left hand side of Australia no longer

means you'll be at a disadvantage.

Our aim is to support all creative designers and events showcasing independent labels. MOTL is a not-for-profit, non-partisan organisation. You may wonder why we promote other markets besides MOTL; it’s because it’s not about us, its about you; the buyers and sellers of indie wares. Here at the blog, you’ll discover up to date information about our latest market, the low-down on some of Perth’s emerging talents, other opportunities for artists and designers and a little bit of fun stuff too. It’s all right here… welcome!

Friday, September 21

Stallholder Profile: Spotlight on "Little L"


Made on the Left first came across Lauren Mills at the KickstART Youth Markets in April of this year. We were so impressed with her display, we awarded her Best Stall Display with the prize being a free spot at the July Made on the Left market. Here we get the scoop on Lauren, her inspirations, creative processes and market tips!  

Lauren with her prize winning display at the KickstART Youth Markets

Tell us a bit about yourself.
My name is Lauren Mills; I am 23 years old and currently finishing my final year of Interior Design at university. I started up my small business Little L at the beginning of this year and have loved every moment of it since.


What inspires you to create?
The materials I use are my main inspiration. I love repurposing old materials and giving them a new life, for example: my stamp collection from my childhood has now turned into necklace pendants and brooches, old books from the top shelf of a second hand store are now a myriad of ornaments and artwork, paper dress patterns are now mini and large bouquets of flowers.
Turning trash into treasure and just making beautiful things is what inspires me to keep on going.




What materials do you use?
As said above I like to reuse old items and repurpose used materials. Books, dress patterns, postage stamps, sheet music, lace, buttons, dominos and scrabble letters make up to main collection of my materials. I also use all recycled pieces of furniture for my market displays, all found at bulk rubbish collections or at second hand markets.


Little L at the Made on the Left July 2012 market

What steps do you take to prepare for a market?
A lot of preparation goes into the week prior to a market, usually I clear out a space in the house like the living room or garage and layout my whole display with all my furniture and pieces so I can get it just right. I get my whole family involved getting feedback and help with planning so everything runs smoothly on the day.

What’s your number one market tip?
Be prepared! I always pack a toolbox with everything I might need from masking tape to blue tack to safety pins to my pliers. You never know what might happen. For outdoors markets tarps are always a good idea especially in winter, and for indoor markets materials to fix your signage and displays with are a must.

Lauren's workspace

What is your favourite part of the creative process?
The best part of the creative process is that moment in the middle when you can finally see your ideas taking shape and coming to life. That point where whatever you’re working on starts to resemble the finished product you have pictured in your head. That’s such a rewarding moment to know you’ve overcome the difficulties of creating and things are finally turning out right!

What’s been your most popular item or line to date?
My most popular item has definitely been the handmade paper flowers from recycled dress patterns. They have consistently sold out and I can’t seem to make enough of them fast enough!

What is the most exciting thing that has come out of selling your designs through markets?
The interactions with all the other market organisers, stallholders and potential stockholders. The contacts and networking that can come from just one market is so inspirational it really keeps me eager to continue my hard work and keep pursuing this dream.


What advice would you give someone who wants to sell their crafts?
I think the best thing to do from the beginning is to research. Research the market, the product, the people you want to sell to and where you will be selling. The market scene in Perth is booming at the moment so now is definitely a good time to get involved, so have confidence in your products and take the chance. It’s a fantastic experience and the people in the Perth market scene are just lovely J

What goals do you have in store for the future?
Ideally I would like to open my own store selling refurbished furniture, and more of my handmade wares. I love what I am doing and love the creative process, but I also love the thought of the people of Perth wearing my wares and having them in their homes. For now I am just happy to get out there and keep holding stalls and enjoying every moment of it. 

Thanks Lauren!
xx MOTL Team

No comments: